The Valance is Complete!

Sunday I shared my progress on sewing down the binding on this valance… well it was tricky .. but watching and reading the links I posted HERE really did help me do a GREAT job on the valance binding.

Once the binding was all on I added a hanging sleeve about 2″ down from the top edge as this is a valance and I wanted some headway there and I wanted and fullness added by the rod to be close to the design in the top.  I used THIS video by Bonnie Browning with AQS to make my sleeve…

Finally it was ready to wash… and i had some graphite and blue water pen marks I had not removed so I first gave it a nice rinse to make sure all markings were gone.. then washed with regular soap and warm water.. then dried it on high for maximum shrinkage as we are going for the old wrinkled look…

Once washed and dried my honey promptly put it on the rod and held it up in place and it was magical for that moment!  Now I want to share my new valance for under $40 using only batting scraps from my stash… all else was purchased new from Wanda at Old South Fabrics… an online Moda fabric shop I LOVE!  Check here out HERE if you are looking for fast shipping… great service and great prices!

Tadah!  What do you think??  Doesn’t it just twinkle up there over the window with the treadle base table below it and great Featherweights all around it???

Here is a view of that side of the room from a broader perspective…

Between the shelves and the Quilt artwork will be a banner I will be making next…. so excuse the blank spot as we are still a work in progress 🙂

So for the record… here is the valance….

It measures now about 57″ long (was 62″ before washing) and hangs about 19″.  I used Aurifil thread for this.. 50 wt for piecing.. 28 wt for the machine and hand quilting I did on this cute valance!

I used Moda fabrics exclusively as well… I did add 3 charms from my stash so it stayed a true charmer 😉  This valance features Moda’s Sunnyside Charms by Kate Spain and Bella Solid Grey (I bought 3 yards and have 1/2 yard left over that I will use on the banner!  Yippee!!)

I am very happy with this valance & my binding… I used a double binding cut cross grain as specified in my blog post noted above.  There are no pulls or distortions in any of the binding that I noted after washing and drying was done.

If I did this project over I would not change a thing… except I wouldn’t get a sore tooth in the midst of it! ha !!!

For all the machine and hand stitches in this finish I am linking to Freemotion on the River HERE 🙂
and to
Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let’s bee Social HERE 🙂
and to
Kelly with Needle and Thread Thursday HERE 🙂

Thanks for following along and until my next post…

15 thoughts on “The Valance is Complete!

  1. Karen - Quilts...etc.

    It turned out great and so glad it didn't shrink too much! I too love the crinkly look but sometimes they shrink more than you think they will. I like how it is long enough to wrap around the sides. The yellow in it goes perfectly with your room and brings some dazzle to it. (love all those featherweights decorating the room until they are sold too)

    Like

    Reply
  2. Maryse

    I love this, it's such a good idea and I pinned it. It's a beautiful pattern and I love that you did both machine and hand quilting. Love the zig zag border, It's lovely! Your sewing room looks so tidy…mine looks nothing like yours…:-)

    Like

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s