WELCOME! My new vintage sewing machine :)

I decided it was time for a new blog header… hope you like it 🙂  The “new to me machine” is a White Rotary 1928 electric…

You see my honey watches “free stuff” on our local Craigslist a LOT!  He likes looking at tools, newly up for sale and other items but his fave spot is what people are giving away FREE and we have found some GREAT DEALS for free in this section over our years together 🙂

Today I want to share our machine from 1928… a White Rotary straight stitch electric machine… that we picked up with the original cabinet.  And it WORKS!

It took a while to finalize pick up plans on this great deal but all the negotiations were worth it… she isn’t named yet… my honey wants to come up with this one’s name 🙂  Not all clean in this pic… but she will clean up nicely it looks like… more pics to come as we work on her..

With some oiling and running… SHE SEWS!!!  And perfect stitch too 🙂  I adjusted the tension some and could see the bobbin thread (black) showing through the top a bit (green thread) so my honey had adjusted the tensions of the bobbin and the top PERFECT on his first try!  Yippee!

Me and my honey did the straight lines.. and my dd did the “flowers”… she may be the FMQ quilter in the family! lol

The cabinet that she came in has been her lifetime home according to the book and advertisements we have found and is an elongated hexagon shape when closed called a Martha Washington cabinet.  Unfortunately no pics yet as it is all disassembled now and getting a rehab in the “mancave” lol!

Meanwhile I am slow stitching my 16th block on THE MAN quilt…

My inspiration photo is also in the blog header… slow stitching takes patience and me and my honey are both ready for me to be done… alas I am about 63% complete and still have a ways to go… but at least this is the downhill portion now 🙂

Do you sew by hand, vintage, or new???

I love to piece with my vintage machines… but hand quilting is the only way I quilt for now… I just LOVE IT!

Since I am planning to spend my Sunday Slow Stitching on THE MAN quilt I will link this lovely post to Kathy’s Slow Sunday Stitching linky party!  If you are slow stitching something today come join the fun and link up too!

Also linking to Sew Many Ways linky party 🙂

12 thoughts on “WELCOME! My new vintage sewing machine :)

1. Kathy ... aka Nana

As you know, I only hand quilt … I've never had any inclination to try machine quilting. I'm praying that my hands … and eye sight … will cooperate so I can hand quilt for many more years … after all, I have a LOT more quilts to make!

2. Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow

Wow she's a beauty and I love your header too. I have an old Graybar picked up at a mission store that I use just as a display piece ( it weighs a ton and I'd have to get work done on it if I wanted to use it ) and a Singer Featherweight circa 1962 that I use sometimes but it's always getting the thread caught under the bobbin then I have two hours of headache trying to deal with that so I usually use my modern one to piece, though lately I've been mostly hand piecing, and I hand quilt

3. Ivy, Phyllis and Me!

Good Afternoon Kathi, How wonderful to own such an old sewing machine and in working order. I have a 1930's Jones treadle machine which is in working order which I love using. There is something so lovely using a machine which someone else has used before us.Have fun with your new (old) machine.Best WishesDaphne

Love your new blog header especially the section that shows your current project. I never check for free stuff on Craigslist, but I know I should. Great find. May you continue to enjoy the hand quilting on The Man Quilt, it is progressing nicely.

5. Daytona Damsel

Your new machine is going to be gorgeous when she is all clean and oiled. I love your new header. Someday when my plate isn't so full you will have to show me how to create awesome headers like you. Happy Stitching my friend.

6. Donna M

Love your new header! The only thing better than a vintage machine that works is one that is also free. Right? Have an awesome slow Sunday stitching.

7. Kymberly

I have a vintage Singer in a sewing cabinet that I love to sew on. I also have a modern-day Brother that goes with me to retreats and for machine quilting. (One of these days the Singer and I will figure out how FMQ together.) I'd love to hand quilt my quilts, but I think it would take up all of my knitting time so for now I machine quilt.

8. Quilter Kathy

Love your new machine! It has found a wonderful home with you :)Enjoy your hand quilting today… only about 1/4 left to do!Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

9. genie

What a beauty you have gotten…it looks to be in mint condition. And it works…that is awesome. The block in your Man quilt is unbelievable with all of the work you have done. That is going to be one fabulous quilt when finished. Happy Slow Stitching this Sunday.